Mamut Art Project
Poster Design, Editorial Design, Information Design, Environmental Graphics
This strategy meant that there was work to be done on the part of the Mamut Art Project team: They gathered as much data as they could about the applications, selected artists and artworks from the past four years and the event year. Then we collated and groomed these data – in the end we had our raw material to start creating our visualizations which would also generate the visual identity of the fifth year’s event.
The three posters above respectively show the artwork dimensions, the artist age distributions, and the application numbers from the past four years. Our decision to put the descriptions and the legends of the graphics in the margins of the posters was part of our general strategy about the dual role of these graphics: They were perfectly accurate and readable data visualizations, but they also had the task of forming the visual atmosphere along with the minimalistic typography. Our stance was: “First, get the feel of it. Then, if you’re curious enough, you’ll find the explanation in the margin.” It was like an Easter egg.
For the environmental graphics, we took a more direct approach and “exhibited” the data visualizations on some of the separator walls, without getting too close to the artworks. We didn’t miss the chance of printing our graphic showing artwork sizes from past years in 1:1 scale since we had this large enough wall.
For the catalog cover we used a PVC (polyvinyl chloride) jacket with one of our visualizations printed on it, echoing the layering effect between the graphics and the typography seen on the posters.
All work © 2022 Fevkalade.